5.10.06

Been sick...

Well, I've been sick recently. I couldn't eat for a few days and during the long hours resting on my couch, I made a few resolutions. It's like it was New Year's or something...

I really do have to go wheat free. I've said it before and gone in and out of actually sticking to my diet, but something I read while I was sick really affected me. I was reading an article about Celiac Disease (wheat-allergy). Basically, when a person who is affected by wheat eats or consumes some kind of wheat, the "vili"-tiny hair-like things in the stomach lining that process all the carbs and proteins) are damaged. These take a LONG time to heal and the more damage that is done, the less effective your body is at processing foods. This, in combination with a stomach virus, was probably the cause of my sickness. My stomach is in a bad way right now (not as bad as it was, but not healthy), so I've decided to treat myself right and be nice to my stomach. I never realized how much power it has over me...

Anyways, I'm giving up regular beer...I'm going to be making my own Gluten-free beers out of Amaranth, Quinoa, Buckwheat and any other grains that might malt. I'm also going to become a proficient and consisten baker...since I'd rather not pay $5-$7 per loaf of bread. I hereby vow to be more creative in the kitchen...and actually take the time to make dinner.

So, to those of you who read this blog, please don't let me 'cheat' on my diet. If you're out with me and I order a burger, make sure I order it with no bun but instead a large piece of lettuce. NO pizza for me, only toppings. No sandwiches (unless I bring my own bread). And last on this list, but CERTAINLY not least, Beer.

No matter how much I protest, whine, think of excuses, etc.; don't let me drink regular beer. For those of you who have known me for a long time...you realize how difficult a decision this is for me. I MAKE MY OWN BEER FOR GOD SAKES. I LOVE THE STUFF. I really can't handle it though. If I have one, I have a few. If I have a few, I'll have more. (Not all in one sitting, but it just keeps sounding good night after night). The problem is, the more I drink it, the more I damage my stomach lining and immune system, leaving me prone to stomach viruses and other nasty stuff.

Anyways, all of this is to say that I need your support in giving up wheat products. Thanks in advance and hopefully the next time we see each other, I'll have some wheat-free brew around. Cheers!

No comments: