31.3.07

Time Magazine from 1938

Pizza and I hung out with her Granny today (who will be 101 on April 13th!) and we were shown a Time Magazine from 1938. Not only was it from 1938, it had a reprint of the entire first copy ever of Time magazine from 1923. Amazing....it had articles about Warren Harding's presidency and what he was having a hard time getting through Congress. It also had some articles about what was happening in aviation at the time. Someone had just invented the first helicopter (actually, I think Sikorsky invented the first helicopter, and the snippet wasn't about Sikorsky); Sadi Lecointe had just set an air speed record for a 4 km course when he averaged something like 233mph; and a new partnership was forming for an airline from NY to Chicago that involved Marshall Field, Franklin D. Roosevelt, and some other guys....they were excited about the dirigible filled with helium (non-flammable!) that was going to whisk them from NY to Chicago starting 9am one day and arriving at 9am the next day. Passengers would sleep aboard the craft in the utmost comfort.
I say "No, thanks." I'll take coach class on a puddle jumper anyday. Anyways, there were some particularly choice advertisements that I'm going to share with you all. Since I'm not getting any money, it shouldn't be a problem, but if it is, someone will let me know and I'll remove them.

Of particular note is the SPAM recipe in the lower left corner of the picture. It says that there are many ways you can enjoy your SPAM in sandwich form. Including, but certainly not limited to, SPAM-Peanut Butter-Honey sandwiches. {sound of a record skipping and the party dying down instantaneously} What kind of sandwich did you say? I'm not normally one to dog on any kind of Peanut Butter sandwich, but even this is beyond my wildest imagination. I cannot for the life of me fathom what that would taste like. If anyone would like to chip in some money for a dare or for the possible resulting stomach pumping, I might try this. Videos and blog posts about the aftermath would of course me necessary.
All jokes aside though, being half-Filipino, I do appreciate me some SPAM. I feel like I had it an awful lot when I was growing up. While that could have been corned beef, I associate the meals with SPAM. Every once in a while I get a SPAM craving, as my wife will attest to. The only thing is, I've never had a craving for a SPAM-Peanut Butter-Honey sandwich. It's absolutely mind-boggling (mind-bottling to Will Ferrell) how that ever became a recipe that they would publish NATIONALLY. Probably even multiple times!

As for the other advertisement, it is very easy to tell when it was made. I mean, how many words and storylines can you fit into one ad? In today's standards, this would be 20 ads. I think they say you've got something like 5 seconds before the average American stops paying attention to your advertising. I'm also guessing that the average American doesn't read very quickly (although my sister makes up for all those slackers). That means that the average American reading that ad, would get through the part in purple at the top, and really, that question isn't all that grabbing (at least not by today's standards).

The other thing I wonder about is how racy that photo of the "couple" kissing was back in 1938. After WWI it was probably a little more acceptable, but what do I know? Also, note that you will not find a Surgeon General's warning about how dangerous smoking is. How could it be if smoking "agrees" with you? The cigarettes coming out of the pack are also filterless (or really small filters). What a crock. :)

Funny though, when I was a smoker I would only smoke Camels. (kids, smoking will kill you, don't do it.)

1 comment:

Donna said...

Around 1935 Granny was teaching high school in Olympia. In the evenings, after grading papers, she would read her Time Magazine and ponder what her future granddaughter and husband might do with those full page ads...someday.