
Pizza and I went and saw RENT! last night at the Paramount Theater. We started off the night at Dragonfish Cafe with dinner and drinks. Jodell, Chris, Jessie and Erik were also in attendance and made it a fun night. (Side note: don't get the Electric Dragonfish drink...it's a little weird.)
I had only seen the movie prior to this, but Pizza has been playing me the music for years. Her junior high choir is even singing some music from RENT! for their end of the year concert.
I thought the show was a lot of fun and of course I like the music. It's hard to say what was my favorite part, but I think the canon-like piece during the support meeting was great. Seasons of Love was also fantastic and got the biggest crowd appreciation of the night. I think Tom Collins' solo after Angel dies was by far the most moving. I don't have my program in front of me, but the singer for that one (the guy in the center in the tan vest in the pic above) was FANTASTIC.
I really felt the emotion of the piece and his voice was like buttah.
Apparently the staging is the same for all the shows so that's why I liked it. I made a comment that it was really neat how they didn't have any motion on stage during Seasons of Love. Instead, they stood front and center and just sung their hearts out. It was very powerful and it makes me really wish that I could go see La Bohème with Pizza tonight. Instead, I'll be in a rehearsal for the Seattle Young Artists' (instrumental artists, not operatic) at UW. At least we're playing some fun rep.
Liszt- Totentanz
Strauss- Burleske
Sibelius- Violin Concerto
and some other pieces that I can't remember right now.
That's all...back to work now.
No comments:
Post a Comment