14.1.08

Guess what time it is?

It's brew time baby! Y3@h!!!1!

Ok. That's my leet speak for the day.
In all seriousness though (since brewing is a very serious pastime), Gluten free beer (ale more specifically) is on the horizon. All I have to do is set up my outdoor cooker and get some propane. I'm almost willing to even use tap water on this first batch in order to expedite the process.

So I'm totally making up this recipe. What is not in the photo are the hops. Those are in my freezer staying cool. While I was at the brew shop I fortuitously asked if the 7lbs. would be enough for a decently brown ale. The response was, "probably not." So, in comes the belgian candy sugar. I'm hoping to have a decently robust brown ale-ish flavor, but of course I really have no idea what this will be like. Over the next few months, I'll be making and refining the recipe so that by summer, I can make a nice pale ale for refreshment while basking in our enormous (to me) backyard. If anyone would like to join in the experimentation, let me know, you're more than welcome to join in the fun. Maybe we can even make a vodcast of GF brewing? Send it to some of the bigger podcasts or something.

2 comments:

The Little Lebowski said...

What do you use for brewing when you're not using tap water? Seattle's tap water is awesome for brewing! It's very soft, so you add whatever minerals you need to be appropriate to the style you're shooting for. I would think for extract brewing you wouldn't need to do much at all to the water.

How's the GF beer drinking?

Ian said...

@little lebowski - I usually do use tap water...when I wrote this I had just moved into a new to me old house with galvanized pipes from the 1950s. I know that galvanized pipes corrode over time and I didn't want any of that crap getting in my beer. I don't really need to do much to the water for extract brews...haven't ever had a problem. GF Beer is still aging. I am an extremely patient man...I'm waiting one more month (well, 5 days now...) thanks for reading!