6.11.07

I blow (or not)

I was doing my usual warm-up today and a violinist came up and thanked
me for not playing loudly. To which I said your welcome to be polite,
but it did get me thinking.

Why is it that she did that? Why is it that I've been playing so damn
sharp lately? Pizza will tell you and me that it is because I'm not
supporting well. Andsge would be correct.

I started playing like she would tell me and immediately, the pitch
dropped a couple of cents. There was an immediate difference in the
sound too. This is not a groundbreaking revolution or anything. In
fact, its more like, 'duh',

But in all reality, it is no wonder I've strayed away from proper
technique. The only place I play is a chamber orchestra and I would
stick out like a sore thumb. Instead of playing out and using the
provided shield, I have retracted my sound and held back.
Holding back has caused me to pinch my embochure and go sharp.

So, after all that obviousness, a resolution. I will pay attention to
my breathing. If I feel sharp, I probably am and my sound probably
sucks for it. Just like liana said, "dude, your working too hard."

No comments: