9.4.06

Do you know anyone 100 yrs old?

I do. Ailisa's granny just turned 100 this weekend. There was a huge party at her retirement community. In fact, we just got back from it.

So, just think about that....100 years old. What would life have been like when she was born?
A quick search of the internet yielded these facts from www.thirdstreet.org:

This is a 1906 Oldsmobile (does anyone actually drive those anymore?). The man in the backseat? Yeah...that's Mark Twain. That vehicle looks familiar....
Looking at it now side by side, they are different. But oh so close.

Think this flag looks funny? That's cuz it only has 45 stars. Oklahoma, New Mexico, Arizona, Alaska and Hawaii had not yet been admitted to the union.






The Wright brothers were granted patent No. 821,393, for a flying machine. Wow...three years to get a patent.
















Which baseball player do most people think of from that era? I think people would probably say Babe Ruth. Well, in 1906 he was only 11 years old. He wouldn't come onto the major league baseball scene for another eight years.

And check this out...
Houses for rent
Morristown, Ridgedale Ave., double house, 6 rooms each, 12.00/month

Beef, sirloin steak, .25/3 lbs
Peanut butter, .10/2 jars (NOW THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT!!!)
Fish, Best Red Maska Salmon, .12/1 lb

One of the things that struck me the most was the HUGE amount of people that came to wish her a happy birthday. Some thoughts about that:
a) I'm not sure I know that many people.
b) Even if I did, would they really show up for a party for me?
c) She knew them all by name!!!!
d) Even at 100 she had the energy and vivaciousness to sit through the longest receiving line ever and then charge on through a long family dinner.
e) Tonight really begs the question, "What does one do in the second generation of life?"
f) Next question, "How does one see the world after living through so much (the Depression, Prohibition, WWI & II, Korean War, Vietnam War, Women's Sufferage & Voting rights, Racial Equality)????
g) This really got me.... 18 presidents. Good God. I say again, 18 presidents.
Teddy Roosevelt
William Taft
Woodrow Wilson
Calvin Coolidge
Herbert Hoover
Franklin D Roosevelt
Harry Truman
Dwight D Eisenhower
John F Kennedy
Lynden B Johnson
Richard Nixon
Gerald Ford
Ronald Reagan
George Bush Sr
Bill Clinton
George Bush Jr (humph)

I could go on but I fear I bore my faithful reader. Adieu.

1 comment:

Jeff said...

I'll come to your 100th birthday party if you come to mine ;-).